Brechin Castle Garden Centre Spring Garden Tips
- Remember there are still frosts around so be careful to protect delicate plants
- Plant early bedding plants such as pansies and violas
- Involve the whole family with our Little gardeners range of seeds
- Sterilise pots and trays ready for seed sowing
- Chit potato tubers ready for planting in late March
- Sow carrots, parsnips and bulb onions under cloches
- Source seeds for salad leaves and start them off under glass.
- Protect blossom on apricots, nectarines, apples, pears and peaches
- Net crops and fruit bushes especially raspberries and blackcurrants to keep the birds off
- Order asparagus and other vegetable seeds
- Divide bulbs such as snowdrops once they’ve stopped flowering
- Prune Wisteria to ensure late spring floral displays
- Renovate overgrown deciduous hedges
- Prune conservatory climbers
Wild Bird Care
In Springtime your garden birds will appreciate being given a helping hand with feed as they look for nesting sites. Choosing your feed you can determine which birds you will attract. Live foods, such as mealworms, are readily taken by Robins, Blackbirds and Wrens whilst sunflower seeds and sunflower hearts are staple foods. Alongside these, peanuts, nyger seed and high-energy seed mixes are all greatly appreciated.
Remember to give birds a clean supply of fresh water at all times.
Feeding the birds can encourage an array of beautiful wild birds to visit your garden all year round. If you need some help to identify the birds click here for details of the most common visitors and where they prefer to feed.